I'm off on a new international teaching adventure! After spending a year in Bangladesh, I am now heading to Taipei, Taiwan to teach 6th grade at the Taipei American School for the next few years. I'm going to be flying solo on this experience so check in for stories about traveling, teaching, and just living large in the city!

Monday, March 12, 2012

Cooking Taiwanese Style

Last Friday my friend, Shirley, had a fabulous birthday party event - a Taiwanese cooking class! It was a perfect end to a busy and hectic work week. I mean who doesn't like unlimited wine and delicious food on a Friday evening? There were about 15 people present ranging from expert cooks to total newbies (I like to think of myself as somewhat in the middle). We worked in teams of three to (try and) mimic what the lead chefs were doing. It more or less worked out...and it was all delicious so that's what mattered!

I volunteered to help mix the dough for the Taiwanese beef pancakes. Not easy using only chopsticks!
Royce and the birthday girl ready for action with spatula in hand!
Vicky and me sporting our super cute aprons :)
I left Jordan and Zach in charge of our three-cup chicken...luckily nothing caught on fire!
I decided to replace Jordan as Zach's second-in-command.
Our side of the cooking studio focused on Taiwanese/Chinese dishes: three-cup chicken, beef pancake, and ginger milk pudding. I know all of those things have actual Mandarin names, but I honestly don't know them. The other side of the room did Western dishes: steak salad (delish), seafood paella, and crepes. Luckily we all sampled everything so no one got jealous :)

Beef pancake (expertly put together by me) ready to get thrown in the hot oil! Yummy!
Three-cup chicken: chicken, ginger, chiles, oyster sauce, and basil.
Finished version of the beef pancake! Pretty professional, eh?
Everyone's hard at work!
It's hard to beat crepes as a dessert. We were lucky the other side felt like sharing!
Successful cooking trio!

1 comment: