I'm off on a new international teaching adventure! After spending a year in Bangladesh, I am now heading to Taipei, Taiwan to teach 6th grade at the Taipei American School for the next few years. I'm going to be flying solo on this experience so check in for stories about traveling, teaching, and just living large in the city!

Monday, August 29, 2011

Night Market Adventures!

Wow it's been awhile since I've added anything to this...so much for keeping my promise of blogging more often! Between school, exploring Taipei, and being a social butterfly (I can't resist), I haven't had much time for social networking. I made my first visit to the Shilin Night Market about two weeks ago, and took some great pics of the food and shopping. It was crazy! And awesome. Definitely going back soon and am taking everyone who comes to visit there on the first night. The best part is that it is only two metro stops down from my apartment, which takes about 7 minutes. Love it! i documented the evening with photos so check them out below!

Potato chips on a stick! Pretty creative.
Popular snack although I couldn't quite tell what it was. Looked like fruit and veggies on a stick with sticky syrup on them.
The food section was jam packed!
These looked AMAZING. Didn't have the chance to try them but am def getting them next time.
All sorts of cooking was going on! More smells then I even knew how to identify (and not all were good).
Weird looking veggie that freaked me out. I think it's called a bitter gourd but I refuse to taste.
Snails! Didn't try these either but I am intrigued. 
Mini-fried crabs! So delicious. You just pop the whole thing in your mouth!
Blood soup with stinky tofu in it. Major combo of strange smells and flavors. It was way better than I though it would be, but I don't think this is going to be an everyday meal.
We did a pretty good job on it though! I think the Taiwanese cook lady was impressed and surprised.
First bubble tea! The tea part is really good, but the little gel balls kind of made me nauseous after a bit. 
Posing in front of the massive crowds in the street shopping area.
This was on a Wednesday evening...I can only imagine how crazy it is on the weekends!
The cell phone covers here are INSANE! I love rhinestones and pink things, but this might be pushing it a little too far...
Lots of little figurines! My mom will love this stuff.
We walked around the candy store and then happened upon the salty fish section. Apparently these are really good but I have not tried them yet. Too many eyeballs.
Just one example of many mistranslated moments that I have encountered so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment