I'm off on a new international teaching adventure! After spending a year in Bangladesh, I am now heading to Taipei, Taiwan to teach 6th grade at the Taipei American School for the next few years. I'm going to be flying solo on this experience so check in for stories about traveling, teaching, and just living large in the city!

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

TAS does MUN in KL

April travels bring...wanting to stay home in May!! The past month has been a flurry of plane flights, different countries, and unfamiliar beds. First Korea, then Hong Kong, and finally Malaysia, but I can't complain too much, right? I signed up for all of it!

This past weekend was spent in Kuala Lumpur at a Middle School MUN [Model United Nations] conference at Mont'Kiara International School. I traveled along with 13 8th graders, 2 high schoolers, and 1 other coach to represent TAS at the conference. Last year was my first year having anything to do with MUN, and I felt like I spent the entire year confused. But THIS year I actually have a vague idea of what is happening, so I was semi-helpful! It was fun getting to know a new group of kids, especially 8th graders as sometimes I feel like I'm stuck in the 6th-grade-Twilight-Zone.

Ready to get started on the first day!
The nice thing about traveling with TAS kids is that they are super attentive and really sweet, so the weekend was a breeze. Our team represented France, and right away all the other coaches were asking, "What school are the French delegates from??" It's a nice feeling to know that all of the hard work the kids [and the coaches!!] put into preparing were well worth it. By the end of the conference, almost half of our delegates won awards - a pretty major accomplishment considering there were about 250 delegates there!

Looking classy and ready to dominate!

Official group photo

Helping out in the Advisory Panel room. Luckily I kind of know what to do this year!
Next week we our hosting our own MUN conference, and then it will be time for a breather before the cycle starts again next year. I'm definitely looking forward to a travel free May!

No comments:

Post a Comment